Monday, May 26, 2008

Should the Rescued Divers In Australia Pay for Their Rescue?

See the previous post for more on this story and click this BBC link for info on what's being suggested about renumeration.

Personally, as I may have intimated in my previous post, it all depends on the divers and what risks or liberties they took, if any, on their dive.

Perhaps the dive operators did not fully prepare the divers for what they would encounter in terms of current. Or, conversely, perhaps the divers ignored instructions and went beyond their permitted dive time and/or range.

I'm a firm believer thrill seekers who refuse to follow the boat's or operator's rules should be penalized in some way for their actions. In most cases, operators penalize irresponsible passengers by not allowing them to return.

I'm not saying these two missing divers fall into this category because I don't know. But I think it's something that should be looked into, especially since both divers are apparently monopolizing on their 15 minutes of fame.

-seabgb

No comments: